Whether you are new in town or going on vacation, selecting the right pet care provider for your pet is an important decision.
Between asking your veterinarian, friends, relatives and co-workers and researching the internet, you probably have several places which are being considered. Whether you choose Pete and Mac’s or not, the following tips will help narrow down the search and lead you to a comfortable decision:
- Compile a list, drop in for an unannounced visit and request a tour. If tours are not allowed, there is a probably a reason and not a good one.
- Does the facility exclude guests by breed? This is an indication of the level of staff training, or rather the lack of adequate training. Facilities may, and should, exclude specific animals that are inappropriate in a group environment, but breed exclusion is a red flag.
- While on tours ask yourself; what do I smell? The smell of wet dog, maybe from water play during exercise, is decidedly different from the smell of a dirty, unkempt lodging area.
- What do I see? Comfortable rooms and play/exercise areas that are clean, or being cleaned? Or something less palatable?
- Is the facility safe? Are pets’ sleeping rooms private and secure? Is the building heated and air conditioned? Is there an alarm system? Is there a visual monitoring system, like closed circuit TV? Is there someone there 24/7?
- It’s important that the staff ask as many questions as you do. To tailor pet care to your unique pet, they need to know about your pet. How large or small is your pet?
- Does the facility ask for your feedback after your pets’ stay? Via a follow up call, comment card, etc?
- After a few visits, does the staff recognize me, or more importantly do they recognize my dog when we arrive?
The most important thing to remember is, once you have chosen the best care option, you may rely on your pet to tell you if the choice was right.
© Pete and Mac's 2017. All Rights Reserved.